Sunday, July 30, 2006

The Ghost in the Machine will kill us all!

With the dawn of the debit/Visa card, I have become one of those people who never carry cash unless I know I am going to need it. I actually developed the habit in college when it was easier to pass by the homeless on the Drag when I could honestly say I had no money on me. The result was I rarely had money when I needed it and visited the ATM all the time. Sometimes fees yes, sometimes no, sometimes extra because it wasn't your bank, ah the headache!

But with the new age, you don't need it. Target takes Visa/debit. Korger takes it. Taco Bell takes it. Starbuck's takes it. What more does one need in life?

Well, this weekend in the hamlet (where I work), the phone lines are mysteriously down. No phones means no credit card machines. So, when I went to my favorite deli to get lunch, which was this day's first meal, no cash, no deal! AH!

Fortunately I had a check handy, and I was saved from a fate of starvation and dehydration or worse.

I suppose, since terrorists can't apply for Mastercard or Visa (surely their credit scores are too low) they don't know how we have come to rely on it. Don't bomb our centers of business, or symbols of freedom or capatilism. Just cut our stupid phones lines. America would probably just shut down.

Throw in the cables lines and most of us would probably wish for a good bomb attack!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

the phones were down all over the village?????

~poptart

Drewster said...

At least a block over. The deli claims to have phones but no CC machine. Their phones maybe something different though. ISDN or Cable based.

I almost went to Starbucks for brunch instead. What a horror that could have been!

lemming said...

Should have gone - then the owner and/or manager could have called the phone company to complain about lost business, etc.

This from someone with similiar debit card habits...

Drewster said...

Well, things are still out in our little hamlet, but SB did have working machines. The problem is wide spread, but a bit spotty.

---
and why is it I can only read half of these word verification things?