Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Come Spirit, Come Charm ...

I visited the grave of a dear friend today. It was the first time I ever went on my own I think. At least at a time that wasn’t marking his death. I went in hopes of drawing some inspiration from his life and the relationship that we had.

My friend died in 1998, almost seven and a half years ago. It is amazing to think that he has been gone that long. As I thought about it, I realized that I had only met him about ten and a half years ago.

The result of this is that this man became an important part of my life, a dear friend and colleague, in just about three years. It is sometimes amazing to think how quickly human attachments can be made.

I only visited him for a few moments, bringing him to my thoughts, trying to imagine his answers to my questions. I have made a lot of self discovery in the past few weeks around my most recent birthday, and here was a friend who very clearly saw to the heart of me and knew me better than I did.

I wonder what life would be like now if I had listened to him and asked these questions seven and a half years ago...

No comments: