Sunday, August 03, 2008

It's too Darn Hot!

I think Cole Porter said it best. Summer in Houston, namely August and the coming September are to darn HOT!

Wow, it has been all summer and I haven't said a peep. I just can't seem to quite get the hang of this.

Here are some highlights.

Mamma Mia: LOVED IT! I already have seen it twice and will likely again if I get feeling low before it leaves theaters. It is just plain fun. If you read the reviews, forget them! The critics just don't understand a good time when they see it. The music is faboo, you have a good time, and yes, it sometimes borders on the ridiculous, but who cares? With a super trooper cast headed by Meryl Streep and Pierce Brosnon, honey honey, you just can't help but have a good time.

Summer Olympics: I always look forward to the Olympics. The best thing they ever did was stagger Winter and Summer. Swimming and Gymnastics. Paul Hamm has a broken hand? Talk about a nail biter! And Phelps set to get a million dollar bonus? Good gracious!

Still, I have to ask, is it just me, or does the Olympic Stadium look like it was attacked by a roll of duct tape?

So should I read the Twilight series? I haven't heard so much hubub on a book since Harry Potter!

Summer was rough financially speaking. Price of gas and all, but some progress was made.

Total Debt: $13,645

1 comment:

Christopher Wheeler said...

Drew, I respectfully disagree with your comments regarding Mamma Mia. It was okay, but nothing exceptional. Yes, Meryl Streep can sing, but she's no dancer. Most of her choreography (sp?) was pretty lame. The only production number that really worked for me was "Dancing Queen." Quick cuts and too many closeups hurt most of the others.

And I'm sorry, but Pierce Brosnan can't sing any better than I can.

On the other hand, I will agree with you that the music is "faboo." Also, my wife loved the movie; thought it was the best movie we've seen this year. She even ran out and bought the movie soundtrack CD.

My votes for best movies of the summer would have to go to "The Dark Knight" and "Iron Man," in that order. They're really the only two movies I've seen recently that I would be interested in paying to see twice.