Wednesday, February 28, 2007

Down shifting in the Fast Lane

Life is finally beginning to slow down. Thank all that is great and good in the world!

I closed The Diary of Anne Frank last week. The show is one of the most depressing stories ever told, and it really happened. Doing it 2 to 3 times a day, 5 or 6 days a week can really get to you. I am exhausted, grumpy and easily annoyed.

But now it is over. Side Show goes up this weekend. It is a concert presentation of the show as a fundraiser and a kind of backers audition for a full production this summer. After the concert, vacation in sunny Puerto Rico!

Side Show will most likely be my last major project for a while. I am tired. I am really tired of auditioning! And it doesn't help that you audition and audition, putting in some really good ones, and then, without being considered for a larger role, producers go trolling for the people who didn't audition to play principal parts. And I am really beginning to resent listening to director friends talk about all the people they want for principals and features in their next project but you are not one of them.

I think I am going to be leaving the musical stage for a while. I want to be more than performing right now. I want something that I can really sink my teeth into. Doing ensemble for something like Side Show is fun (great music, great cast) and I am performing, which is always a high, but I don't feel like I am doing any work. Not like a I got to do in Anne Frank and especially in An Empty Plate at the Cafe du Grand Beouf.

So, if they come looking for me, great. I will consider any opportunity offered, but there are plenty of choristers out there. I need interesting, growth potential work or I need rest.

No comments: